Ingegnere, libero professionista ArchiCons srl
LA CATTEDRALE DI AVERSA E LA SUA TORRE CAMPANARIA
La Cattedrale di Aversa è stata costruita nel secolo XI, da parte dei Normanni. Nel corso della sua storia la fabbrica è stata soggetta a modifiche, ampliamenti e trasformazioni, anche per la sua ubicazione in area ad elevata pericolosità sismica. La torre campanaria originaria crollò nel secolo XV e venne ricostruita nel 1499 esternamente al Duomo e successivamente collegata alla fabbrica normanna da un ponte. I terremoti del 1694 e 1702 fecero crollare gran parte dell'edificio, per cui gli interni e la facciata della fabbrica furono adattati alla cultura architettonica dell’epoca. A seguito del terremoto del novembre 1980, il campanile si è dissestato in maniera grave, con rischio di collasso statico.
Nel 2008 si è proceduto alla progettazione e successivamente all’esecuzione dei lavori per il restauro dei fronti esterni della cattedrale e per il consolidamento ed il restauro del campanile.
CATHEDRAL OF AVERSA AND THE BELL TOWER
The Cathedral of Aversa was built in the eleventh century by the Normans. Throughout its history the monument has been subject to modifications, extensions and conversions, for its location in the high seismic risk area. The original bell tower collapsed in the fifteenth century and was rebuilt in 1499 outside the cathedral and later connected to the church Norman by a bridge. The earthquakes of 1694 and 1702 brought down much part of the building, so the interior and facade of the monument were adapted to the architectural culture of the time. Following the earthquake of November 1980, the bell tower was ruined in a serious risk of collapse static.
In 2008 Archicons developed the restoration project and the Diocese has contracted out the restoration work of the external facades of the cathedral and of the consolidation and restoration of the bell tower. The external facades of the cathedral had an advanced state of decay, so were affected by work aimed at cleaning up, cleaning and restoration of stone surfaces and decorative elements, with reinstatement of deteriorated plaster and whitewash protective. They were also carried out interventions for the painting, for the restoration and protection of friezes and cornices, and for the recovery and painting of wooden window frames and all the iron works.
The bell tower is a massive structure with a square layout built on four levels until the cell octagonal summit that, before surgery, performing a worrying crack pattern and a serious state of deterioration of materials and surfaces. The horizontal elements of the tower, consisting of a cross-vault coverage on the first level and wooden floors on the upper levels, were partially collapsed and not practicable.
The work has requested extra strictly activity to achieve the purpose of the restoration, which is identified with the maximum preservation of built material and minimum intervention. To the definition of additions and technical solutions to be adopted, they have been used materials and compatible and tested technologies, preferably local and traditional. It is the criterion of recognition theory and therefore of distinctiveness, which is an important requirement for the restoration of the heritage of the past.
The consolidation of the bell tower required a complex set of interventions that are extended from the foundations to the entire structure off the ground, until the cell summit. These are: a) static consolidation work; b) demolition and/or reconstruction; c) remediation and restoration of the masonry; d ) measures to adapt the functional and technological.