The article describes the project for the restoration of the Righi Institute, a building complex located in the old town of Faenza, in the new Caritas headquarters. The restoration involved part of the large area of the complex, long abandoned, through an accurate structural and architectural project, an important overhaul of the interior spaces and the creation of new stairwells. Given the historical importance of the building, which brings together buildings from ' 500 to ' 700 , the re - functionalization and seismic upgrading of the complex was an opportunity to confront the historical stratification of the façades.
The building was initially Convent of Dominican nuns of St. Cecilia, established in 1515. Following the Napoleonic occupation, on 1 August 1798 it was decreed the dissolution of the wealthy monastery, and from that moment began a period of changes and alterations by private (residence) and public (school) use.
From March 1945 to May 1946, the Institute Righi was the seat of a community’s dining-hall, and at the same time were carried out the first urgent renovations. Other major works were carried out in 1950, especially in the guesthouse and concierge. Even after the building was subject to a significant modernization effort, which, however, has virtually eliminated almost all traces of the old appearance of the premises.
Despite all these efforts, the gradual emergence of the secular mindset in recent decades has led to the gradual decline of the Institute, and the closure of the various educational departments. In early 2002, the Sisters also went away, leaving the building partially abandoned and partially in use for a Cooperative and the parish of the Cathedral.
The restoration project involved two different parts of the building complex both in disuse: a two - levels building (building A) originally used as a day center overlooking Via d'Azzo Ubaldini, which can hold both a counseling center run by Caritas has two apartments, and a wing on three levels (building B) defining the great rear courtyard, inside of which they will be made to first -aid.
Despite the importance of the necessary structural interventions, none of the wooden elements has been replaced and even removed, only to be relocated from headquarters. The strategy was to complement, support and substitute the beams with metal implants to solve the inadequacy of the sections, the lack of effective constraints and the chemical-physical decay of the wood.